|In 1870, this hotel at 156 S. New York Avenue became a part of Atlantic City history when eight men from the hotel industry met to discuss the problem of sand. Visitors to Atlantic City loved strolling along the beach, but their lodgers hated the damage caused to their carpets when they tracked sand into the establishments afterwards. The men signed a petition asking for a wooden walkway to be constructed along the beach which would solve the sand problem. This was the beginning of Atlantic City’s famous Boardwalk, which has since become a street in its own rite and inspired copycat structures in seaside resorts around the world. The Chester House was sold in 1908 and became known as The Netherland, and later the Lexington. It was demolished in 1967.|
For more information, see these resources in the Atlantic City Free Public Library, Atlantic City Heritage Collections:
Local History Subject Files – Hotels
| An 1886 lithograph drawing of the Chester County House along the Boardwalk it helped create.
From the Atlantic City Heritage Collections, H084.Souvenir002.
made with love from Appartamenti vacanza a Corralejo - Fuerteventura